Live classical concerts
for babies, toddlers and young children (0-4)
Amazing music in a relaxed atmosphere
Concerts in Bath, Frome and Wells
29. Maybe time to visit a museum? This is the fantastic Pictures At An Exhibition by Mussorgsky. Or to be exact, Hut on Fowl's Legs (Baba Yaga). The witch who lives in a hut that runs around on chickens legs...
28. More rain? Playful Pizzicato by Britten. Wonderful to imagine lively raindrops playing with each other as they run down the window - what would they say to each other?
26. Night on Bare Mountain - Mussorgsky. A piece to fill you with horror, or merely to represent the frustrations of a toddler!
27. A little Baroque music today, inspired by our local Dyrham Park. The fabulous first movement from Brandenburg Concerto No 2 in F by Bach. This is royalty and poshness at it's best, pretend to be a princess or prince at a royal gathering. Simply wonderful!
25. The clock is chiming! A wonderful piece about a Viennese Musical Clock by Kodaly. One to march like a tin soldier to! Or maybe actually be a clock - great for the imagination and a fab piece too!
24. Time to buzz around like a bumble bee! Flight of the Bumble Bee by Rimsky-Korsakov. An age-old toddler favourite!
23. If you're feeling a little gloomy, try the Raindrop Prelude by Chopin. To be played during a quiet moment whilst gazing out of the window at the rain.
22. A little calm with the guitar. Cavatina from The Deer Hunter by Stanely Myers. Not quite the tune to play air guitar to, but maybe to nap instead...
21. Short Ride In A Fast Machine by John Adams. A rushy sort of piece. Relentless and pressing... like a toddler...
20. Jazz - cool... Take 5 by Dave Brubeck. The coolest tune around. If the holidays are getting a bit much, put this on and chill out...
19. Roll up! Roll up! Clown outfits at the ready, or face paints at the least... Here's the typical circus tune! Entry of the Gladiators by Fucik. (Yes, I have spelt his name correctly!!)
18. Get ready for the flight of your life... Arms out, head down, make an aeroplane sound... it's 633 Squadron by Ron Goodwin! Zoom around the house, out into the garden and off you go!
17. The fabulous sounds of Ladysmith Black Mambazo singing Rain, Rain, Beautiful Rain. Suitable for a rainy day.
16. Gee up around the lounge to the Finale from William Tell Overture by Rossini. The classic horse riding tune.
15. The heartwarming tale of Tubby the Tuba! The spotify link is the best one here as Stephen Fry narrates beautifully,
14. A sad piece, or a sleepy piece or a piece to swoop like a bird or just enjoy. The Adagio from Oboe Concerto in D minor by Marcello.
13. A bassoon quartet plays Funeral March of a Marionette by Gounod. Encourage your little one to play the bassoon, they'll be helping to boost the dwindling population of bassoon players!
12. Gulliver Suite by Telemann for two violins. Really pretty music for violin duet.
11. Zoom Tube by Ian Clarke for solo flute. One person, one flute and a huge range of sounds. This is incredible! Plus, it is very cool.
10. A bit of peace in a frantic world - Prelude from Cello Suite no 1 by Bach. I love it and it always makes me chill out for a while.
9. The Typewriter by Leroy Anderson. Teach your child what is was like to type before the age of the computer, iPad or iPhone...
8. Dance like a whirlwind with the Sabre Dance by Khachaturian! Often a very popular tune to rush around to.
7. Habanera from 'Carmen' by Bizet. A Muppet classic for hours of Beaker entertainment, or you could hear the proper version sung by Maria Callas!
6. Minor Swing by Django Rienhart and Stephane Grappelli. A nod to the world of jazz... and very cool jazz!
5. The Liberty Bell by Sousa. Put your colander on your head and march around the kitchen with arms swinging! (and singing about Spam....!)
4. Nocturne from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' by Mendelssohn. A relaxing one here with beautiful horn playing at the beginning. We've got a horn quartet coming to play in November!
3. Zadok The Priest by Handel. Bear with it through the long string introduction to hear the most glorious choral entry. Makes me think of Kings and Queens every time.
2. Ruslan and Ludmilla overture by Glinka. Another lively one to rush around to pretending to be a buzzy bee, or maybe driving a fast car with the roof down?
1. Hoedown from 'Rodeo' by Aaron Copeland. THE best cowboy music EVER!!! This will make you yeehaa around the lounge with your Woody hat on!
To keep yourselves amused when you're not at a concert, and maybe for some inspiration as to what to play to your baby. A common question is "what piece shall I listen to with my baby/toddler?" Well, here are some answers! We've put together our top pieces of music to fire up the imagination, make you dance, wriggle and jiggle, or simply snuggle and sleep to.
Try to ask your child (if they can speak/sign) what they think is happening in the music. Children have great imaginations and will often create a whole story based upon a short piece of music. The CBeebies programme 'Melody' is great at this sort of thing.
Maybe add the list to your phone, spotify list or iTunes so that it's readily available to you to save you from yet another playing of the same nursery rhyme cd!
We hope you and your little ones enjoy the music we've chosen - please let us know any stories they come up with or funny reactions :-)
Playlist for you and your little one!
Copyright 2017 Music for Miniatures C.I.C. All rights reserved. Music for Miniatures C.I.C is a registered Community Interest Company.